Imagine if there was a type of delicious food that made you THINNER just by eating it. But wait, how is that possible…Doesn’t food make you fat?
Aside from the fact that EATING in general will give you energy and speed up your metabolism, there are certain foods that really kick you into energetic, fat-burning shape. Take a look at this list of top fat-burning foods below, and… bon appétit!
- Almonds: Although all nuts are generally very good for you, almonds are the winner! They are loaded with healthy fat, fiber, and protein, and contain just the right proportions of essential fatty acids that you need to raise your metabolism. Nuts are high in calories though, so don’t go overboard! 10 – 15 almonds equals one serving…. Not 50. Pine nuts, cashews and walnuts are also very good choices… but again, make sure you don’t eat too many.
- Apples: An apple a day is good for more than just “keeping the doctor away”; Apples are also great for keeping fat away! Each apple is loaded with 15% of your daily recommended fiber, which impedes absorption of glucose in the bloodstream to help regulate blood glucose levels by slowing the absorption of dietary sugar intake. Apples will also make you feel full longer, help keep your digestive system healthy and strong, and contain a plethora of phytonutrients that function as antioxidants. Apples are also the only fruit that contains the flavinoid “phlorizdon”, which has been found to play a key role in improving lung function, especially in women with asthma.
- Beans: Beans are loaded with fiber and protein that helps you feel full longer, and helps keep your digestive system healthy and active! Again, not TOO many though… or your roommate/boyfriend/husband might stop liking you.
- Berries: I call them “nature’s candy”! They are naturally sweet, and are PACKED full of antioxidants, metabolism-boosting vitamins and phytochemicals, and cancer-fighting flavanoids. Blueberries and raspberries also contain lutein, which helps promote healthy vision.
- Cayenne Pepper: You may have heard people say that spicy food boosts your metabolism…. But are they right?! Well, yes – as long as that spicy food isn’t from the greasy Mexican restaurant down the street. The reason why cayenne pepper raises your metabolism is this: spicy food raises your body temperature, which then forces your body to work harder to cool itself down. This “cooling” process actually requires calories…which thus generates a sort of “fire” for your metabolism. So, if you can take the heat, GO FOR IT! Sprinkle it (sparingly) on your turkey or chicken or on your lean hamburgers. You can even use it to spice up your veggies and your soup, if you dare.
- Chicken breast: Like turkey, this is a lean meat that no diet should be without! Just don’t forget to remove the skin, and don’t eat it fried… as this totally kills all the health benefits.
- Coffee: Although it does dehydrate (drink an extra glass of water for every cup of coffee you consume!), the most recent research about caffeine and coffee suggest many positive benefits. These include: Speeding up your metabolism, increased heart health, higher levels of concentration, and many more. Just don’t ruin it with tons of cream and sugar… or try adding skim milk and splenda!
- Eggs: Eggs are one of the highest quality protein sources available. They are also one of the BEST foods for boosting your metabolism, and should be part of every healthy woman’s diet! (Don’t go crazy here though – no more than 3-4 whole eggs per week, or your cholesterol might go through the roof. Eat as many egg whites as you’d like though!)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Canola Oil: When cooking, you should never use any oil except for Extra virgin olive oil or canola oil. Unlike corn and vegetable oils, these oils contain the HEALTHY kinds of fat – those heart and brain-healthy omega-3’s. Olive oil is also the HEALTHIEST salad dressing you could possibly use! (Add some spices to 1 tablespoon of olive oil for a killer dressing!)
- Green Tea: Green tea is one of the best metabolism-boosters you can drink! In fact, green tea is one of the main ingredients in many expensive fat burning supplements on the market. Green tea also helps decrease your risk of cancer, reduces food cravings, helps maintain weight loss, and contains just enough caffeine to help get you going in the morning.
- Natural Yogurt: Greek-style natural yogurt is best; it contains much less sugar and much more protein than other varieties. But, any kind of low-fat yogurt (look for one with the lowest sugar content) also contains many pro-biotic cultures that are necessary for maintaining a healthy digestive system, and is high in protein and much-needed calcium (another great fat-burner)!
- Peanut Butter: Peanut butter is a diet secret. While it does contain a high amount of calories per spoonful (don’t eat it out of the jar), it also contains a ton of essential fatty acids, fiber, and even protein. Try spreading it on a sliced banana, or on celery with raisins for an amazing study snack!
- Rolled Oats: With high quality combinations of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, fiber, and protein, rolled oats make a pretty near PERFECT meal in the morning. Mix in some whey protein and flaxmeal, and you’ve got the best metabolism-boosting elixir around! The morning is the optimal time to eat rolled oats because your brain and body need the carbohydrates most at this time – after you’ve been fasting for 6 hours or so.
- Salmon: Research suggests that while saturated fats (like those found in deep-fried foods) appear to promote weight gain, the healthy omega-3 fats found in cold water fish, such as salmon (and tuna), actually reduce the risk of becoming obese and improve the body’s ability to react to insulin. How can “fat” help make you slimmer? Well, the omega 3 fatty acid (EPA) found in Salmon stimulates the secretion of leptin, a hormone that regulates food intake, body weight and metabolism, and aids in the break-down of unwanted fatty tissues. The healthy oils found in salmon have also been shown to reduce inflammation in your joints, and to improve circulation and heart health.
- Spinach: Popeye ate spinach, and so should YOU! Spinach really does make you stronger too – it is loaded with antioxidants that help repair damaged muscles. Spinach also prevents cancer-causing free radicals from damaging your body and your health. Spinach is also super high in iron (also great for women), vitamin C, potassium and magnesium.
- Steak/ Lean red meat: Recent studies show that you should eat lean red meat once per week. Red meat contains creatine monohydrate, a common ingredient in body-building supplements. This nutrient helps your body use ATP to aid in the muscle-building and toning process, which in turn leads to a higher metabolism!
- Turkey: Turkey is a diet necessity. It is a great source of lean complete protein which helps you stay focused, and helps build muscle and helps increase your metabolism. There is a growing body of evidence indicating that the amino acid tryptophan (found in turkey) plays an important role in immune function, and in cancer prevention. As an added bonus, eating turkey also releases “happy hormones” such as serotonin into your blood stream, which actually has been shown to improve your mood.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are NECESSARY for maintaining a high metabolism, and contain high-quality fiber, vitamins, and minerals that you won’t be able to find in any pill or health supplement out there. Veggies are also extremely low in calories, so feel free to sneak extra veggies into your diet whenever you can!!
- Water: A recent study showed that drinking COLD water frequently throughout your day (at least 6 – 8 glasses) actually increases your average metabolic rate by nearly 25%. Another study also showed that dehydration leads to over-eating, because thirst is often misinterpreted as hunger cravings. Hungry when you shouldn’t be? Try drinking a glass of water! Chances are that you were actually thirsty, not hungry. Staying hydrated also increases your body’s ability to move nutrients around faster, eliminate toxins, and also prevents fatigue and bloating by flushing excess water from your system.
- Whey Protein: Whey protein (comes from cows) is a complete, high-quality protein. It is also one of the best fuels for your metabolism. Not only does whey protein boost your metabolism into high gear, but it also helps your body feel fuller longer. Again, mix half a scoop into your oatmeal in the morning for the ultimate fat-burning breakfast.
- Whole grains: Be careful here though… just because the package says “whole wheat” doesn’t mean this is a good choice! Make sure the product is 100% whole grain, and make sure the first ingredient on the label is WHOLE wheat or WHOLE grain/oats. Often, companies will advertise “enriched wheat flour” as “whole wheat”, but this is really no better than white bread. As long as the grains are truly whole grains, then go for it! They will give you real energy to get through your day, without the awful fat storage, and minus the insulin spike and crash you’d get from white breads.
So, there you have it. Food that actually makes you thin!
If you still don’t believe me, start adding these delicious foods into your diet today and notice immediate improvements in digestion, energy, and the ability for your body to burn fat like an oven.
Get a more detailed nutrition and workout program below!
If you liked it please share it :)