So you've probably already heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day", and it’s TRUE -- breakfast not only gives you the necessary energy to get through morning and that mid-afternoon slump, but will jump-start your metabolism and help you reach your optimum energy and fitness goals.
And, while ANY breakfast is definitely better than no breakfast at all, most of the so-called "breakfast" foods out there are full of sugar, preservatives, and processed crap (granola bars, cereals, muffins, bagels, poptarts, donuts, etc...)
So, instead of sabotaging your weight loss goals, sapping your energy, and storing fat with lame morning munchies, try one of these quick, delicious, energizing, and fat-blasting breakfast ideas!
- Chocolate Oatmeal
(Have you ever tried “Cocoa Wheat hot cereal?” I used to eat these all the time as a kid… and I swear this version is even tastier! -- and MUCH healthier!!!)
- 1/2 cup whole grain plain oats (I use 100% whole grain Irish Oatmeal because it has the best texture, but you can use your favorite variety...as long as it’s whole grain with no added sugar!)
- 1/2 cup plain soymilk
- 1 scoop “LIGHT” Milk Chocolate Muscle Milk protein powder (Can get this at GNC, Amazon.com, or the Vitamin Shoppe)
Place oats in microwave-safe bowl (or a paper bowl) and mix with approx 1 c. water (1 part oats to 2 parts water). Microwave on high for approx. 1 minute. (Your microwave might require more time -- just stir the oatmeal after 1 minute, and adjust time accordingly). After oatmeal is cooked and water is absorbed, add ½ cup soymilk, and the scoop of dark chocolate protein powder. Mix and enjoy! You can also stir in 1 sliced banana!
- Chocolate Strawberry Banana Smoothie **
Here's a super refreshing, fat-burning breakfast that you can sip on the way to class or work!**For this recipe (and all smoothie recipes), I recommend investing in a good hand-blender! This one made by Cuisinart is awesome because it makes a great smoothie in under a minute, takes seconds to clean, is under $30, and is perfect even for a dorm room!
- 3/4 c. frozen strawberries
- 1 small banana
- 1 scoop Gold standard 100% chocolate whey protein powder (Can get this at GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. If they don’t have this brand, opt for the “LIGHT” Dark Chocolate Muscle Milk powder).
- 3/4 c. skim milk (or soy milk)
Place the ingredients in blender cup in this order: frozen strawberries, banana, protein powder, and milk, then blend until smooth...and enjoy!
- Chocolate Mocha Breakfast Smoothie
(Better than almost anything you’ll get at Starbucks and way healthier!)
- 6 - 10 ice cubes (depends on how big the ice cubes are -- start with 6 and increase from there until smoothie is desired consistency!)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 packet light hot chocolate mix
- 3/4 c. skim milk (or plain soy milk)
- 1/3 c. very strong brewed coffee (you can make it the night before, and put in fridge overnight)
- 2 T natural peanut butter
Place all of the above ingredients in blender cup in this order: ice cubes, banana, light hot chocolate mix, milk, coffee, peanut butter, and blend until smooth! Add more ice as-needed.
- Best Breakfast Sandwich Ever
(The name speaks for itself)
- 1 whole grain pita pocket (I like the Trader Joe’s variety, but just pick one that you like, as long as it’s whole grain, and has about 150 calories/pocket)
- 2 slices lean Canadian bacon (get the microwaveable kind -- it’s ready in seconds!)
- 1/8 cup (handful) reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 sliced avocado
- Handful spinach
- Sliced tomato
Cook 2 slices Canadian bacon in microwave, according to package directions. Meanwhile, slice avocado and tomato. Place cooked Canadian bacon inside pita pocket, and sprinkle cheese inside. Microwave additional 25-30 seconds until cheese melts. Place avocado, spinach, and tomato inside the pita and enjoy!
- Teriyaki Egg White Scramble
(A healthy, delicious spin on the egg white omelet!)
- 4 egg whites, and 1 whole egg (or 1/2 c. egg whites and one whole egg)
- 1 cup chopped veggies (asparagus, green peppers, red peppers, mushrooms, onions... whatever you like!)
- 1/4 sliced avocado
- 1 T. teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman original is best!)
- Handful reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
In a non-stick pan sprayed with cooking spray, sauté veggies on med-high until tender; stir in teriyaki sauce. Add whole egg and egg whites, reduce heat to medium, and scramble until eggs are cooked through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and cook until cheese melts (I like it when the cheese burns a little bit, but this is totally up to you!) Top with sliced avocado, season with ground black pepper, and enjoy!
So, now that you have 5 delicious, quick and easy fat-burning breakfasts to try, you have absolutely no excuse for sabotaging your most important meal of the day!